County Road Hearings

“County road” is a designation quite different in Massachusetts than in most of the country. Here, city and town borders are contiguous, encompassing even rural agricultural land, and all roads are maintained by either the state or by the municipality. Never-the-less, some roads are important to more than one town, so the authority to make changes to those roads was vested with the regional entity. Those roads were designated “county roads.” Only the Hampshire Council of Governments can discontinue, abandon, or relocate county roads located in Hampshire County.  However, they must first receive a written petition requesting action; they do not initiate action on their own motion. The Councilors in turn notify the abutters, advertise in local newspapers, and post notices in public places of the time and place for a view and hearing of the road being petitioned. The expenses are borne by the petitioner requesting a change. 

To petition for a change to a County Road please contact the Council Administration Office